Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Facebook worth less?

In a followup to this post [1], it seems that some are now questioning the real value of Facebook [2].

And who is "some" in that sentance? Facebook itself. And the internal value is about US$3.75 billion, which is a whole lot less than the the US$15 billion that was placed on them after the injection of funds from Microsoft.

Update: I really, really, profoundly apologise to all the Hypercard fans for the slur! Sorry about that. I genuinely do think Hypercard was a brilliant innovation, it just missed the simple step of enabling remote decks. Had it done that, I think the Internet would look a whole lot different. The connection I was trying to draw was more along the lines of the fact that I suspect both of them will represent intersting cul-de-sacs in the history of technology, but will not ultimately end up as a ubiquitous platform. Kind of like PointCast [3], I suspect.

M@

[1] Facebook == Hypercard (perhaps I should rename this to ~=)
[2] Facebook worth a guessing game
[3] PointCast Network

No comments: